Charlottesville provided the Confederate war effort with swords, uniforms,
and artificial limbs during the American
Civil War (1861–1865). It was also home to a 500-bed military hospital that
employed hundreds of the town's residents, cared for more than 22,000 patients, and
was superintended by Dr. J. L.
Cabell, a professor of medicine at the nearby University
of Virginia. In the summer of 1861, the 19th Virginia Infantry Regiment. . .
Find out more