T. O. Sandy was Virginia's earliest agricultural extension agent. A farmer, scientist,
and teacher, he opened the state's first extension office in Burkeville in 1907, serving the residents in
surrounding counties with practical agricultural advice. In 1914, Virginia Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech) in
Blacksburg assumed the administration of the statewide program.
Sandy, who had briefly attended Virginia Tech, coordinated Virginia's extension efforts until his retirement
in 1917. During Sandy's tenure as exte. . .
Find out more