Media: Slideshow

Edith Bolling Galt's Electric Car

Edith Bolling Galt in Her Car

In 1904 Edith Bolling Galt, the future wife of President Woodrow Wilson, sits at the controls of her electric car, a Columbia Elberon Victoria Mark XXXI, that was a gift from her then-husband, Norman Galt. According to several accounts, she was the first woman in Washington, D.C., to drive such a vehicle.

Original Author: Unknown

Created: 1904

Medium: Photographic print

Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

Edith Bolling Galt's Driver's License

This is Edith Bolling Galt's driver's license, signed by an official from the Office of the Commissioners in Washington, D.C., on September 7, 1904. The form notes that Galt was "duly examined" and "authorized to operate an automobile of the electric type in the District of Columbia."

Original Author: Office of the Commissioners, Washington, D.C.

Created: September 7, 1904

Medium: Drivers license

Courtesy of Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Foundation and Museum

Zoom In
  • Edith Bolling Galt in Her Car

    In 1904 Edith Bolling Galt, the future wife of President Woodrow Wilson, sits at the controls of her electric car, a Columbia Elberon Victoria Mark XXXI, that was a gift from her then-husband, Norman Galt. According to several accounts, she was the first woman in Washington, D.C., to drive such a vehicle.

    Original Author: Unknown

    Created: 1904

    Medium: Photographic print

    Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division

  • Edith Bolling Galt's Driver's License

    This is Edith Bolling Galt's driver's license, signed by an official from the Office of the Commissioners in Washington, D.C., on September 7, 1904. The form notes that Galt was "duly examined" and "authorized to operate an automobile of the electric type in the District of Columbia."

    Original Author: Office of the Commissioners, Washington, D.C.

    Created: September 7, 1904

    Medium: Drivers license

    Courtesy of Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Foundation and Museum