Dudley Digges House, Williamsburg
The Dudley Digges house in Williamsburg, seen here in this late nineteenth-century photograph, may have been rented out in the 1760s and used as a school to teach thirty or enslaved and free black children. Terry L. Meyers, a professor at the College of William and Mary, believes the house was at least one of the sites of the school operated in Williamsburg from 1760 to 1774 by the Associates of Dr. Bray. The English philanthropic group, founded by the Reverend Dr. Thomas Bray in 1724, was dedicated to the education and conversion of enslaved African Americans, establishing schools in Williamsburg, Fredericksburg, New York, and Newport, Rhode Island. Anne Wager taught reading, religion, and etiquette at the Williamsburg school until her death in 1774.