The East Front of Mount Vernon
This painting, titled The East Front of Mount Vernon, is one of two paintings of George Washington's Fairfax County plantation made by artist John Savage between 1787 and 1792. They are the two earliest known images of Mount Vernon. Here an arrow has been overlaid to pinpoint the location of the House for Families, which was built by the 1760s and served as the main slave quarter at the Mansion House Farm. In 1786 67 enslaved house servants and skilled laborers lived in the house out of 216 slaves living on the plantation. In 1792 the building was demolished and replaced by new slave quarters that were attached to the nearby greenhouse.